Wednesday 17 September 2014

Homemade Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Spread: So much nicer than shop bought and so many ways to use it too.

Hi honeys
It feels so odd not to be posting a Blogtember entry for the first time this month. It's been such fun and I'm looking forward to taking part in the rest of the month, but I have no idea how to make a Vlog, maybe someday :)

So, having gotten used to posting each day, I thought I'd share one of our kitchen favourites 😊 Tuna mayonnaise sandwich spread is something I used to buy pre-made at the supermarket with my regular weekly grocery shop. 

It's a great favourite with both hubby & I, equally at home as a sandwich filling, or as a toast topper, or even, as I did last night, used as a side dish with a baked potato 😋

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Spread: Only 3 Ingredients and so much nicer than shop bought.

Tuna Mayo sandwich spread is so easy to make and is cheaper than buying pre-made too.  I started making ours fresh quite some time ago, with any leftovers popped into a lidded container in the fridge where it will keep for 3 - 4 days easily. 

It's great to have on hand for a quick snack when the rumble tums appear.  Far healthier too to have a healthy sandwich as a snack, with the filling ready to grab from the fridge, than to munch on a chocolate bar.
 This is one of those recipes that gets better each time you make it, because each time you make it you'll change it a little more to your taste. So what you end up with is your own favourite version, made as you like it best.

Maybe you'll add more, or less, mayonnaise or onion.  Or maybe add other ingredients, such as sweetcorn (yum) or mixed peppers?

So honeys, here is my own favourite tuna mayo recipe. Do let me know how you make yours?

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Filling


Ingredients:


2 small cans of tuna (drained)
1 small onion - red, brown or even green onions, choose your favourite honeys.
A "wee dollop" of mayonnaise - start with 2-3 tablespoons then (when mixed) add more if you prefer.

Directions: 


1. Carefully open your cans of tuna & drain them. Place the tuna into a bowl large enough to mix all of your ingredients in (I've made that mistake before.... start mixing only to end up with tuna splashed over the worktop, over me.... lol :)

2. Carefully peel and dice your onion. It's entirely a matter of personal choice which onion you use honeys. I used red onion this time because that's what I had on hand, but I've used brown onions and green (spring) onions and they work great too. Also, as you can see below, I've chopped my onion quite roughly because hubby & I both prefer a more "crunchy" onion texture, but feel free to chop very finely if you prefer.

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Spread: Collect your ingredients together.  Use your favourite type of onion, I used red because I had some on hand.

3. Add your chopped onion to the bowl with your canned tuna and gently mix until combined.

4. Add mayonnaise to taste, I usually add 2-3 tablespoons but just add a little at a time until you find a consistency you like. I said it was easy to make :)

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Spread: Only 3 Ingredients and so much nicer than shop bought.

Make it yours...


There are so many versions of this delicious heaven-in-a-pot sandwich spread honeys but the perfect way to make it is your way! The only constants in this recipe are the tuna & the mayonnaise.  I think the added onion makes it scrumptious but what if you're not a fan of onion? 

Why not try adding sweetcorn?  Canned is fine, and it's usually handy as most people will have a can in the pantry.😊  I've also heard of peppers being added too, which I've never tried yet but it does sound yummy.

How to use that yummy tuna mayo now that it's made...


So, what to do with your bowl of delicious tuna mayonnaise now that you've made it?  Here are some suggestions...

1. Sandwich filling:  Why not try adding some sliced tomato, cucumber and some lovely, crunchy iceberg lettuce to fresh, crusty bread for a dream of a sandwich. Healthy, and a great way to contribute to your "5 a day" too!

2. As a really yummy topping for toast. Seriously, yum!

3. As a delicious side with a baked potato:

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Spread: Only 3 Ingredients and so much nicer than shop bought. There are so many ways to use this it too. Served with this baked potato it makes a healthy lunch.

This was actually hubby's dinner last night 💖  I used an ice cream scoop to serve the tuna mayo (as I do when I make fluffy mashed potato too) I used my mandolin to slice some tomato & cucumber, very carefully! I had quite a bad cut when I first used it & have very been wary since.  The baked potato was made using hubbys favourite method. It's a sliced or "hasselback" potato and you can see how to make it here

4. Use as part of a lovely healthy packed lunch.  Here I've added sliced peeled cucumber & a large beef steak tomato.

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Spread: Only 3 Ingredients and so much nicer than shop bought. Why not make it part of a lovely, healthy packed lunch with a wrap or melba toast?

Add a pre-baked potato, a couple of lovely wraps or even some yummy Melba toast and you have a wonderful, healthy lunch.


Bonus:


If you have a container of this too-yummy-for-words tuna and mayonnaise creation in your fridge, it can make for a super fast and super easy meal.😋

Homemade tuna mayonnaise sandwich spread: Only 3 ingredients and so much nicer than shop bought. Why not add to your favourite pasta for a healthy lunch, snack or supper?

by adding cooked pasta (again choose your favourite pasta honeys) you can turn this yummy sandwich filler into the most delicious lunch, snack or even evening supper.  Enjoy x

So, there we have it dear ones. Definitely worth having a container of tuna mayonnaise in the fridge for those "feel like a snack" moments. 😋

Do you make your own homemade tuna mayo?  Do you have a favourite way to make it?  Why not share in the comments section?  I'm always looking for new recipe ideas to try.  I hope you're having a fabulous week, till next time, hugs always xx

Hugs always, Rosie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment