Friday 23 October 2020

Blogtober Day 23: First 15 Songs On My MP3 Player On Shuffle

Disclaimer: I haven't been paid to promote or recommend any music tracks or artists, just thought this might be fun, and it really was 😊  

Hi Honeys,

For today's Blogtober post I thought I'd re-do a previous, fun challenge from Blogtember (in 2016) and set my MP3 player to shuffle and see what appears 😊 If you'd like to see what tracks appeared last time, you can find the post here.  

Musical smiles: First 15 songs on my MP3 player on shuffle...

What I intend to do is to quickly type the "shuffled" song picks down as they play, and to then go back and hopefully find links so that you can share too.  Each link should open into a new window, so won't take you away from the post (hopefully, technology doesn't always seem to like me for some reason lol) 
 
OK, switched on, shuffle and let's see what appears then honeys... 


1. Northern Lights by Renaissance (1978)

I was in my very early teens when this song was in the charts and, you know how sometimes a song can be so linked to a memory that when you hear it, well you could be right back living that remembered moment all over again?  this song, odd though it sounds, takes me back to a very rainy afternoon and I'd been tidying my room when this song came on the radio. I can remember happily singing along, loved it then and love it now 😊  You can watch Renaissance performing this awesome song on Top of the Pops in 1978 here honeys. Love it, love it, love itπŸ’™  


2. Way Beyond The Blue by Eva Cassidy (2000) 

I first heard this beautifully haunting song when I watched a Jason Isaacs movie (I'm a Potter fan after all) called Sweetwater (2013) and loved the song so much I searched for it online and ordered the album, called Time After Time it's included in by Eva Cassidy.  The movie was released in the UK under the title Sweet Vengeance. 

This is such a beautiful performance by a very talented singer. She died far too soon, she was only thirty three, and didn't live to see her albums and a posthumously released single all top the UK charts.  I can't find a recording of Ms Cassidy's version of this song anywhere on line to share with you honeys, I'm so sorry, the best I've been able to find is a small 30 second long sample at Amazon which you can find here. 

I did find this fabulous version though, performed by the Gospel and Soul Workshop in Norwich, which uses Ms Cassidy's arrangement of the song.  Enjoy, dear ones πŸ’–


3.  Britney Spears - Circus (2008) 

I'm sure you've heard and remember this song, but in case you don't you can watch the video on YouTube here.  Go on, try to not tap your feet, it's a very tap-your-foot-along-to-the-beat type of song I think.  

I hadn't ever seen the video until I went searching for an online recording of the song to link to for this post honeys and, I have to confess that it did shock me a wee bit.  Yes, I'll go sit in the corner now, I know, I'm old 😊  It's a beautifully shot video, very colourful and full of energy but all I kept thinking was that Britney would catch a cold if she didn't put her thermal vest on 😊  I was raised by my sweet Grammy honeys, and she would have been wrapping a thermal vest to pop into the mail to Ms Spears  before the video had finished playingπŸ’–  I was once yelled at because (on a baking hot summers day) I'd loosened the top button of my school blouse! The cheek of me 😊 I'm really not a prude, but thanks to my sweet Grammy, I do still own thermal vests though 😊 

 

4. I Should Have known Better by The Beatles (1964)

I have lots of Beatles tracks on my MP3 player honeys so it was more than likely the shuffle would pick up at least one track, and now that I've heard it, I need to go fetch the dvd of the movie to watch πŸ’–  You know I keep saying (too often, apparently, lol) that I was born too late? I really was (only just, but still...) I love, love love The Beatles 😊  

I have a canvas hanging in our kitchen, it was a gift from Hubby (thank you sweetheart x) and every day it makes me smile 😊   

First 15 Songs On My MP3 Player On Shuffle: The odds were in favour of at least one Beatles track being included...

I still haven't ever used those gorgeous little silicone coasters, designed to be copies of vinyl 45s (do you remember them?) and it's safe to say I could never bring myself to rest a hot cuppa on them... 

First 15 Songs On My MP3 Player On Shuffle: The odds were in favour of at least one Beatles track being included...

This track, I should Have known Better, was taken from the album "A Hard Day's Night" You can read about it at The Beatle's Bible website and at Wikipedia too.  You can also watch the train scene (where it's played in the movie "A Hard Day's Night") on YouTube.  Enjoy honeys πŸ’–  


5. If I Ruled The World by Tony Bennett (1965)

I do love this song honeys.  I also have the version sung by Harry Secombe (my favourite) on my MP3 player but Mr Bennett's version was picked by shuffle 😊 It's a fabulous song and the lyrics are just beautifulπŸ’–  

This version of the song appeared on an album by Mr Bennett called "Songs For The jet Set" you can read about it here and can listen to the track on YouTube here. 


6. American Pie by Don McLean (1972)

How much of a classic is this honeys?  Just from reading the title, you probably already have it playing in your head πŸ’– You can watch Mr McLean play it live here, it was filmed in the BBC Newsnight studio, in 1972. Wonderful!   


7. My Blue Tears by Dolly Parton (2001)

I adore Ms Parton's music, and a year or two ago I bought a three disc collection. I was happily surprised to find, among all of her more familiar hits, a couple of songs I hadn't heard before, including this one. 

It's such a sweet song, originally from an album called Little Sparrow, and instantly became a firm favourite πŸ’– You can hear it here honeys. 

 

8. Unforgettable by Dinah Washington (1961)

Forever and a day this will be a favourite, the song and also the singer πŸ’–  Such a voice! Again I have a few of Ms Washington's albums on my MP3 so it was likely that at least one of her tracks would appear too.  You can listen here honeys.  

I also have a couple of Nat King Cole albums on my MP3, so, just as with the Tony Bennett version of If I Ruled the World, it could just as easily have been his version of this classic song chosen by "shuffle." Both versions are just marvellous and genuinely make my heart smile πŸ’—


9. Happy Together by The Turtles (1967) 

OK, try listening to this song without tapping your feet or even swaying and singing along πŸ˜„  The Turtles are an American band and if I'd been about 10 years older than the toddler I was at the time, like the Beatles, I'd have been saving my pocket money to buy their records 😊 This is such a joyful wee song πŸ’– 


10. Suddenly by Olivia Newton John & Cliff Richard (1980) 

Anyone else old enough to remember the movie Xanadu? If you're not, watch this trailer and see it when you can because it's fabulous and you'll love it 😊  

This song is from the so-good-there-isn't-even-a-word-invented-for-how-beyond-good-it-is Xanadu soundtrack album that features the music of ELO πŸ’–  The album includes so many great songs, including of course this track, Suddenly, but also has I'm Alive,  All Over The World, and of course the title track Xanadu and so many more.  Now I want to go upstairs and fetch the dvd! Maybe a double bill with A Hard Day's Night...


11. I Wanna Be Your Man by Chaka Demus & Pliers (1992) 

I'm so happy this shuffle included a song from one of my happy albums! Chaka Demus and Pliers are a Jamaican reggae duo and I swear this whole album is made up of sunshine and happiness and has saved many a day from being unbearable for me over the years 😊   

This track, which you can hear here, is fabulous but the whole album is awesome.  I defy anybody to sit still and not be tapping their feet or getting up and dancing to their cover of Twist and shout.  Then of course there is She Don't Like Nobody, Murder She Wrote, and Tease Me.   Honestly, the whole album is amazing, I adore it.  The album is titled "Tease Me" but was also released under the title of "All She Wrote" too.  I recommend it absolutely honeys, it's my cure for a not-so-good day and I love it πŸ˜πŸ’– 


12. Rockin' Years by Dolly Parton & Ricky Van Shelton (1991) 

This is another beautiful song I hadn't heard until I bought that compilation album by Ms Parton, you can see the official video here and it's just the most perfect song for anniversaries I think πŸ’•  

It's a duet with Ricky Van Shelton and appeared on Ms Parton's album called Eagle When She Flies. Such a lovely song πŸ’•πŸ’– 


13. Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf (1977) 

Is there anyone who was around in the 70s who didn't buy this album?  We've still got it on vinyl, on CD, we have a dvd too of Meatloaf's greatest hits called Hits out of Hell. There are very few songs that have become as legendary as Bat Out of Hell has ★  It's beyond words πŸ’—  Go on, give your ears a treat and listen here honeys 😍  It's the official video too. 

OK, even though my little "shuffle" didn't pick it (I have so much Meatloaf on there, why didn't it?) I can't not add a link to the video for "I Would Do Anything For Love" because it makes me cry.  Every. Single. Time πŸ˜πŸ’—


14. Mickey by Toni Basil (1981)

Again, anyone of a certain age will, for sure, remember the song Mickey, will think of cheerleaders and then smile, tap your feet, and sing along 😊  Have a look at this, and I dare you not to be smiling and singing along 😊  

Next time my arthritis is playing up and I start feeling sorry for myself, I'm going to watch this video and give myself a right telling off.  This is the marvellous Ms Basil, at age 74! Dancing like you wouldn't believe! Bravo, you wonderful lady, you're an inspiration πŸ’–

This awesome compilation video showcases Ms Basil's work as an actor, dancer and a choreographer in the 1960s.  She's been in show business for over 50 years, and there's a lot more to the incredibly talented Ms Basil than Mickey and a cheerleader sweater πŸ’– 


15. I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye (1968)

Is it possible for anyone to not adore this song?  It's timeless and wonderful and I love it so much honeys πŸ’–  I was going to add a link to a video on YouTube for you but then I remembered the version that appeared online around a year ago with everything stripped away except Mr Gaye's fabulous vocals.  It's... well, they're going to have to find a whole new word for wonderful because it's that and then a whole lot more πŸ’— 

It makes my heart skip just listening to it, why not go listen honeys, there is an article at Esquire magazine which has the video showing this perfect version embedded on the page.  If you'd rather watch it on YouTube it's here honeys.  It gives me chills. Now this is what talent looks like 🌟

What a wonderful song to end on.  I actually didn't want to stop 😊 What kinds of music do you love to listen to? Did any of the songs on my shuffle list have you tapping your feet or singing along? Were any of them among your favourites too?   

Till next time dear ones, stay warm and safe, hugs always xx

Hugs always, Rosie xx

2 comments:

  1. Such throwbacks! This is such a cute idea, I'm pretty sure my first iPod is in my parent's basement somewhere... I wonder what songs would come up for me!
    Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna! Hello again honey :) So sweet of you to visit x That would be such a fun post! Music always stirs memories, I had the best day writing this post and listening to all of this fabulous music again :) Why not share the songs on your Ipod? I'll bet you'd have a fun day of smiles too :) Mountains of hugs dear Jenna, thank you for visiting, stay warm and safe honey xx

      Delete