Thursday 15 October 2020

Blogtober Day 15: 10 Easy Ways To Use Less Water At Home

Disclaimer:  I haven't been paid to promote any products or shops, I'm just sharing some of my favourite ways to use less water. 

Hi Honeys, 

Back again for day fifteen of Blogtober, thank you so much for joining me 💖  How are you today? All well and staying warm I hope?  Today I thought I'd share some of favourite ways to save water around our home. 

10 easy ways to save water at home

Water is such a precious resource.  I know it can feel as if water is always available.  All we have to do is to turn on a tap after all but, this isn't the case everywhere, as we know.   In fact, as with so many of the planets other precious resources, if we carry on as we are, those resources will become dangerously depleted. 

There are so many simple ways to use less water in our day to day lives.  If we all try our best,  think of the difference we can make.  Let's have a look shall we?   
  

10 Easy Ways To Use Less Water At Home... 


1. Turn the tap off when brushing your teeth or shaving, and put the "plug" into the drain and run only the water you need when washing your hands and face.   

2. Use a basin in the sink when washing fruit or vegetables instead of leaving the water running.  When you're done washing your lovely fruit and veggies, use the left over water to water your garden (not if you've added vinegar to the water though!)

3. Shower instead of having a bath when you can honeys, and it's so easy to fit an attachment to your shower head that will reduce the flow of water.  When you do have a bath, try only half filling the bath. 

5. Install a "rain butt" in the garden that will collect rain water.  This water can then be used to water the garden on rain free days.  We don't have this problem in Scotland, we're blessed with an abundance of rain all year long, it's the sunshine we don't get to see a great deal of 😊

6. Use a bucket and sponge to wash your car, those pressure washers waste so much water and it all goes onto the street and down the drain honeys. 

7. Try not to run the washing machine or the dishwasher unless you have enough for a full load.  If you only have a couple of dishes, cups etc, hand wash instead.  

Both your washing machine and dishwasher should have an eco programme, this will not only save water but it will also save money too because it will use less energy.  If your dishwasher doesn't have an eco programme, look out for a "quick wash" or "low water" setting.  

8. Just as you can adapt your shower head to reduce the water used during your shower, there is also a device that can be fitted to your cistern in order to reduce the water used when the toilet is flushed.  It's possible to save between one and three litres of water every single time the toilet is flushed. 

9. Never ignore home maintenance tasks like a dripping tap. It's surprising how much water can be wasted due to the failure to fit a wee washer honeys.  There is a useful video tutorial here showing how to fix a dripping tap. 

10. Leave the garden hose in the shed and instead go "old school" and use a watering can instead.  This year on my birthday, my best friend bought me the most beautiful, vintage watering can and a gorgeous little trowel.  It was the best gift and I so love them.  She knows I'm happiest fussing over our roses (thank you Miriam, love you honey xx) and it made my whole day 💖

There you have it honeys, ten ever-so-easy ways to save water around your home that are so easy you don't even have to think about them, they'll quickly become new habits in no time too. 

Over to you then, do you have any hints or tips to share?  Till next time dear ones, stay warm and safe everybody, hugs always xx

Huggles always, Rosie xx

2 comments:

  1. Turning off the water when I brush my teeth and wash my face definitely has saved so much water! I also shortened my shower time too :)
    Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenna x
      You're right, such a small thing, turning off the tap is such a simple thing to do, takes no effort and it does genuinely make such a difference! Every now and then I'll time myself in my shower, trying to beat my record each time :) Silly I know but it's fun and some days (even though I'm not as fast as I used to be) I actually do surprise myself by how fast I can be showered and dressed and sitting with my cuppa :)

      I love your new post on sustainable Halloween costumes! I just pinned it I hope that's ok? So many costumes on sale this time of year and it saddens me that all of the creativity and imagination has been taken away. Making your own costume is just such fun and if wee ones help to create their own costume I'm sure they'd love it too, and be very proud of their costumes. Thank you so much for visiting Jenna, stay warm and safe honey, hugs always xxx

      Delete