Saturday 9 October 2021

Blogtober Day 9: Oh Ikea! You let me down!

 Disclaimer: I'm not being paid to recommend any products or stores - clearly from this post, but I'm usually (and still am to be fair) the biggest, most devoted, absolutely-love-them-to-bits fan of Ikea.  Just this once, when everyone is trying so hard to use less, create less waste, be responsible in our treatment of our environment.... well this happened... 

Hi Honeys, 

How are you today?  I hope your weather is better than ours.  It's been raining all day here, and not the pretty, falling softly against the window and making you want to write poetry kind of rain either. More the summer's-gone-and-you're-stuck-with-miserable-weather-till-April kind of rain.☂ Oh dear.😞   

"So, what's the disappointment then, Rosie?  How have Ikea let you down?" I hear you ask.  OK, before I show you (I have photos lol) I want to preface this post by saying that I am the biggest Ikea fan.  Honestly, if given the choice between a trip to Disneyland (heaven!) and an afternoon in Ikea.... no competition, it would be Ikea, every single time.😊  If you were to run a search of this blog, you'd see how much I adore that store 😍   

Now, that being said...

Oh Ikea! You let me down!

I recently placed an order through the Ikea online store, their UK website.  The order had 15 items, none of them particularly large.  Small things like a few of the bamboo lids for the dishes we have. 

A previous order (placed earlier than this one) arrived one afternoon.  Accompanying it, was this box...

Oh Ikea! You let me down! - Let's look inside this box shall we?

On opening the box, I saw this...

Oh Ikea! You let me down! - Only 3 small products sent out in this large box is so disappointing

One bamboo lid and two boxes of the new tiny Istad re-usable bags (great for storing small items like cables for phones, tablets etc.)  I removed these three very small items from the large box  (remember our order had 15 small items in it) to find two bundles of paper packing and under the paper... 

Oh Ikea! You let me down! - Only 3 small products sent out in this large box is so disappointing

Yep, an empty box! 

I've been playing devils advocate in my head - well no, I've been making excuses for Ikea actually to be fair. Trying to find a reason for why they'd do this. Like I said, it's one of my favourite shops.😊

OK, if we allow that the small bamboo lid and two little boxes of mini bags were available but that everything else was out of stock, which is really unlikely, honestly, you'll see that when I share the whole order (which I'll do this week sometime, promise x) Well, even if everything else was out of stock, couldn't they have just put the three products they did have to one side, until the others were back in stock, then they could finish making up my complete order and have it delivered together?

Then this afternoon, another box arrived.  A day early, since we'd been told it would arrive tomorrow, so happy about that. Hubby and I opened the box and inside was more packing paper...
 
Oh Ikea! You let me down! - The rest of our order arrives...

When the packing paper is removed, as you can see, there is so much space left in the box that our other three products - the square bamboo lid and two boxes of the tiny Istad bags - would have fitted and still left room for other products...  
 
Oh Ikea! You let me down! - Under the packing paper there is so much space, more than enough for the products sent in another box.

Am I being too picky honeys?  It's just that I keep thinking that couriers had to make two trips to our home to deliver two boxes, all of that paper packing in both boxes and the boxes themselves. 

It seems like such a waste of resources from a company who have always inspired me with their attitude to avoiding household waste, finding new uses for products and using materials sourced ethically and from renewable and sustainable sources. 

I'm a wee bit disappointed in my favourite shop, if I'm honest.  We're all trying so hard to be mindful of how we live and the impact we're making on our world.  I think I'll consider this a blip honeys.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because we've always had such good experiences when contacting customer service with questions or problems.  Yes, I'll think of it as a blip.  I will though leave a message on the order page, where they ask for feedback on your order, delivery etc. 

What are your thoughts honeys? Have you had any similar experiences? Are you taking part in Blogtober?  If so, please leave me a link so I can visit and say hello x  Till next time, stay warm everybody, hugs always xx    

Hugs always, Rosie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment