Sunday 27 October 2019

Blogtober Day 27: Reusable Produce Bags: Avoiding Single Use Plastic In The Produce Aisle

Disclaimer:  I haven't been paid to promote any products or shops, we're just trying to live a healthier, more sustainable life with less waste.  This is our latest little tweak to our kitchen and we're loving these little bags. Just wanted to share x

Hi Honeys,
Welcome to day 27 of Blogtober, where did this month go! Today's post is a subject close to my heart.  Hubby and I have been trying to live a healthier life dear ones, so there's been far more meal prepping going on, which really started in earnest earlier this year when I began making salads on Sundays for us to have through the week and for Hubby's lunches at work.

After reading that the plastic lunch containers Hubby used could actually be leaching toxins into his carefully prepared, healthy lunches, we switched to glass instead. 

Around our home too, we're trying to make healthier choices and to live as sustainably as we're able to.  We've always tried to recycle and to re-use wherever we can, but now we actively seek to use less.  Just a few simple changes really can make a difference honeys and I'm so happy with our latest little tweak to our grocery shopping... 

Avoiding single use plastic bags while shopping by using reusable produce bags.

I know we might be late to the party, but we've swapped from using those thin, single use, plastic bags that produce items, such as fresh fruit and vegetables are packed in, to a longer lasting, wash-and-use-again alternative and I'm so, so loving these little reusable produce bags 💖

The idea itself isn't a new one. I can clearly remember childhood shopping trips where potatoes, carrots and onions were weighed and then just tipped into a bag brought from home and kept for the purpose.  I'd seen something similar online recently but they seemed to me to be quite expensive, at £7.99, for what they were, which is basically little bags that you can wash and use again.

I had even toyed with the idea of making some myself using cotton from my fabric collection upstairs but before I had a chance to do that I spotted this fabulous set of 3 produce bags in Asda/Walmart for £1!  I couldn't believe it honeys!  I immediately bought two sets and I'm so happy I did 💗

Avoiding single use plastic bags while shopping by using reusable produce bags.

They seem to me to be good quality, being a very fine mesh material which, according to the packaging, is a recycled BPA free polyester.

The packaging also says the bags are machine washable (at 40c) fully recyclable and can hold up to 5KG (or 11 pounds) in weight each. They measure 28cm (or just a little over 11 inches) square and have a drawstring fastening.

Avoiding single use plastic bags while shopping by using reusable produce bags.

I think we're going to get a lot of use from these little bags honeys.  Less packaging being brought home and so there's less to be added to our recycle bin every week.

I can't speak for every store, everywhere, but certainly where I work the "loose" (unpackaged) fruit and vegetables tends to be cheaper to buy than the wrapped items. This means that not only do we get to choose our produce items (which might help in avoiding that one apple or orange in the pack that seems to "go off or bad" way too fast) but we save money too!  It's a win-win 💖

Have you found any new ways to cut down on waste honeys?  Any tips to share?  I'd love to hear them.  It's such a beautiful day outside today but so chilly too.  I hope you're having the best weekend dear ones, till next time, stay warm, smile lots and hug even more 💖 Hugs always x

Hugs always, Rosie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment