Friday 11 October 2019

Blogtober Day 11: My Favourite Baked Treats And How To Make Them ๐Ÿฐ

Hi Honeys,
I hope you're having a great week so far, I can't believe it's almost the weekend again ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Today is day 11 of Blogtober and today, after yesterdays healthy doughnuts, and still being in a baking kind of mood, I thought I'd share six of my baked favourites to rustle up on any day with a "y" in it ๐Ÿ˜Š 

In fact, they're all so good, they really are all treats to be shared, and with the holiday season approaching again, why not make one or two to take as hostess gifts when visiting friends and family?

My favourite baked treats and how to make them...
 
Everyone has their favourite recipes. I know I have lots of them.  Favourite savoury dishes, favourite pasta dishes and when it comes to baking, I have so many favourites๐Ÿ’—

Why not grab yourself a cuppa and make yourself comfy then honeys and I'll share six of my favourite baked treats and links to their recipes so you can enjoy them too....



Super Yummy & Super Easy To Make Chocolate Swiss Roll


First then is the perfect treat to make when you're expecting guests to drop in.  A home made, light, fluffy, Swiss roll always seems to be a favourite.

Six of my favourite baking treats: Super yummy & super easy to make chocolate Swiss roll

Considered a classic, even when I was a child, I have no idea who first thought it was a good idea to spread a sponge cake with jam and then go and roll it up but whoever you were, well done!

It seems to be one of those cakes that really impresses guests when you say, "oh this? Oh, I made it this morning...."

I've heard people say they're intimidated by the idea of making these very old school cakes. Thing is though, they really are very easy to make.  It can be as simple as a plain sponge with jam filling or as fancy as you want it to be.

I made the one in the image above by adding cocoa powder to my sponge mixture, filling with thick chocolate cream, dusting the top with icing sugar and by adding some sugar roses to the top.

Such fun to make and makes a perfect hostess gift when visiting too. You can find a complete step by step on how to make a delicious Swiss roll here honeys.

Scrumptious Strawberry Sponge Cake


This cake was so, so good!  Oddly enough though honeys, it was created because I had found a random tin of strawberries in our pantry cupboard and didn't know what to do with them ๐Ÿ˜„

Six of my favourite baking treats: Scrumptious Strawberry Sponge Cake.

Then, this gorgeous, yummy, fluffy, light as air cake happened.  Absolutely delicious.  I haven't made it since though.  I keep meaning to, but I never have a tin of strawberries in our pantry anymore or remember to add them to the list.  Maybe someday, it really was amazing. You can find the recipe for this strawberry treat here.


Extra Special Sponge Cake With Banana Whipped Cream & Cream Cheese Frosting


Another cake that's just perfect when you have guests expected to drop in...

Six of my favourite baking treats: Extra special sponge cake with banana whipped cream and cream cheese frosting

Doesn't it look good honeys?  It tastes amazing and there's every chance that your guests will be in your kitchen looking for a box to prove you bought it from the local bakery ๐Ÿ˜„  You can hold your head high though dear ones, look your guests in the eye and say "I made that."

Can you imagine how pleased a host or hostess would be if you took this along as a thank you gift too?  You can find this delicious, and great to impress loved ones with, cake here.

Easiest Ever, Yummy Gingerbread Cookies 


There isn't a single occasion that isn't made better with the presence of gingerbread cookies ๐Ÿ’—

Six of my favourite baking treats: Easiest ever, yummiest gingerbread cookies

Grown ups love them, wee ones love them, you can use the cookie dough to make yummy ornaments to hang from your Christmas tree or spooky cookies for Halloween.

You can even make two or three batches of the cookie dough and freeze some for later.  It will keep for up to three months in the freezer.  When you want to use it just take it out, let it defrost in the fridge and then roll it out and bake it as usual. You can find the recipe for these yummy biscuits here honeys.

Scottish Jammy Coconut Sponge 


Oh my! Now we've reached the cakes that, when mentioned, every Scot over a certain age will get a wistful, nostalgic, look in their eyes as memories of their schooldays flood back...

Six of my favourite Baking Treats: Scottish Jammy Coconut Sponge

Jammy coconut sponge was always a great favourite at lunchtime in Scottish "dinner schools." or lunch halls.  Always served with that terrible school custard that would form an impossibly thick skin over the top before you'd even reached your table, but it didn't matter.  That coconut sponge made dragging the custard skin over to the side of your bowl worthwhile ๐Ÿ˜Š

Perfect as a tray bake, to share with loved ones or even as a sandwich (two layered) sponge cake with jam in the middle and on top, finished with heaps of coconut on top.  If you want to make it even more special, you could add whipped cream on top of the jam filling too.  You can see how I made this yummy treat here.

Scottish Caramel Shortbread Tray Bake


I've saved the best till last honeys ๐Ÿ˜‹ If there was ever a perfect tray bake, too delicious for words, then this is it...

Six of my favourite baking treats: Scottish caramel shortbread with choc sprinkles

A thick layer of good Scottish shortbread, topped by the most perfect, thick, sticky, delicious caramel and then covered with chocolate sprinkles ๐Ÿ’–   It's a slice of heaven on a plate dear ones and if you mention the words "caramel shortbread" to any Scot in their forties or older, they'll feel a twinge in their heart at the mention of it ๐Ÿ’—

Also served at lunchtimes in the dinner school, and always with that same custard that formed a skin everyone thought was thick enough to walk on ๐Ÿ˜„ Warning though, you can't just have one piece and if it's in the fridge, it will call to you ๐Ÿ˜ƒ  You can find this delicious, heavenly treat here honeys. 

Well, I'd better go get organised for work I suppose.  I really would rather stay home and hug Jade than go out into that awful cold and damp day but needs must I suppose.  Have a great day, stay warm and see you tomorrow for day 12 of Blogtober honeys.

Till next time, smile lots and hug even more, hugs always x

Hugs always, Rosie xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment