Saturday 27 February 2016

Rulers of Britain Coin Collection: Richard III

Disclaimer: I haven't been paid to promote this magazine, I'm just a history nerd and wanted to share my latest smile :)

Hi Honeys
It's Saturday :) Exactly four weeks from tonight, at 2am to be exact, the clocks go forward in the UK. Yaaaay! I adore being a Scot but Winters here are so dark. I mean seriously dark honeys. During Winter months we'll have between five or six hours of daylight a day tops in the run up to the end of the year and it's depressing!

So, in four weeks time the clocks will go forward one hour, we'll lose an hour's sleep but it will be lighter in the mornings, stay light longer in the evenings and with a huge amount of luck, we might even have an actual Summer this year instead of the far too frequent rain we had most of last Summer.  Not that I'm ungrateful for the rain, it blesses the garden and helps the roses grow, and I do love our roses :)
Rulers of Britain Coin Collection Issue Two
Now that I've done the most British thing ever, complain about the weather, on to today's post then :) I posted on Thursday about a new historical partwork called Rulers of Britain.  I adore the idea of this magazine series because it looks at history from an interesting perspective. Each issue is supplied with a reproduction of a coin commonly used in the period being discussed.   Issue one had two coins from Elizabethan times, a sixpence and the interestingly named quarter angel.


I had been debating with myself over whether or not to buy issue two of this series (another collection, more clutter in an already too cluttered home) but then Hubby did the sweetest thing and brought it home for me :) (thank you sweetheart x)

Issue two is supplied wrapped in plastic complete with a large folder and a vinyl page to pop inside which has 20 tiny pockets designed to store the first coins.
Issue Two Richard III
 I do like the folder actually. It's a soft rather than stiff plastic folder in a very regal shade of red and it holds the magazines too...
Coin Collection Folder

Lets have a closer look at the coins themselves honeys...
Rulers of Britain Coins Reverse
From left to right above are:

  1. An Elizabethan sixpence which the card tells us would have taken a shepherd of the times a week of hard labour to earn.
  2. An Elizabethan quarter angel - apparently this coin was worth two shillings & sixpence and might have been a fortnight's (two weeks) work for a ploughman.
  3. A groat from the time of Richard III which was apparently worth four pence and was among the last of the medieval style coins.  
Shall we look at the reverse of the coins packaging?
Rulers of Britain Coins Packaging
The coins really are beautifully presented.  They're packaged in a little plastic wallet with the tiny informative card giving an insight into each coin. I especially like the attention to detail, including the tiny colour portrait of the monarch in question. These little wallets fit easily into the pockets of the plastic storage page in the folder.

As I said in my last post, this partwork could have been written with me in mind.  I'm such a history nerd :) The magazines are only around 20 pages long but oh my are they packed with facts and figures.  I'm very tempted by this series and if we weren't fighting what feels like an uphill battle with our de-cluttering efforts....

Well dear ones, I have to go get organized for work, it's a long shift today.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend honeys, till next time, stay warm (we're not out of Winter yet) and smile & hugs lots :) Sending heaps of huggles always xxx

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love these sorts of things but like you, fighting clutter... Please post any others you get! :)

    ReplyDelete