Wednesday 26 March 2014

Do You Love Fashion? Why Not Release Your Inner Designer!

Disclaimer: I have not been paid to promote Polyvore, I just adore creating there and wanted to share :)

Hi honeys
I'm so excited to share this with you! Have you heard of Polyvore?

Release Your Inner designer With Polyvore - Afternoon Tea With Friends by Rosies Cottage

Ever Wanted To Create A Collection? To Release Your Inner Designer?


Imagine having a fantasy closet. Now imagine that you could stock that fantasy closet with any item from the best stores, from the catwalks, any item ever created, past or present, by all of the greatest designers.  All there for you to mix & match, to use to create your own looks.

For the past year or so I have been having great fun creating "sets" at a fabulous site called Polyvore. Oh my goodness, if you love fashion, if you love interior design, if you love to look at beautiful things, Polyvore is the place to be! Essentially, the site encourages its members to create a set or even a collection of their favourite looks whether in the worlds of fashion or interior design. 

Each set you create will be saved on your home page (you can see mine here ) and if you run your cursor over each set you'll see the details (inc price etc) of each piece added.  What are your favourite looks? Do you love Vintage Hollywood style glamour? Or are you more a casual chic person?  No matter what your own personal style is honeys, you'll find it at Polyvore 😊

I thought I'd share with you a few of my creations as an illustration and why not start with something glamorous.....


Vintage Glamour


I've always said I was born too late. I so long to live in a time long gone when ladies wore hats & gloves, when elegance was everything and so I created this little montage in honour of the fabulous forties...

Release Your Inner designer With Polyvore - 1940s Glamour by Rosies Cottage

Oh to have lived in a time when manners were expected, when gentlemen held doors open for ladies.  Please don't yell at me anyone.  I've been thoroughly told off for this before!  Yes, I fully appreciate the advances our grandmothers and mothers fought and won for us dear ones but this lady loves to have a door held open for her and isn't at all offended when a gentleman does just that.

I'd love to have seams in my nylons, victory rolls in my hair and a pretty compact always near to hand.  I really was born too late honeys and you know what?  I'd even give up the internet if I was somehow able to time travel back to the glamorous times of my Grandmother πŸ˜ƒ
  

Homage to Flappers


The beautiful costumes used in the re-make of the Great Gatsby movie inspired me to create this homage to flappers :) Those fabulous ladies were carving a path for all women in the 1920's freeing them of the restrictions of their whalebone corsets and stays and putting the fun into fashion.

Cropping their hair, taking on the world and demanding that women have a voice, these wonderful ladies are my personal heroes...

Release your inner designer with Polyvore - Fabulous Flapper Fashion by Rosies Cottage


I really do adore Polyvore honeys, it lets me indulge my fashion fantasies :) I thought I'd share some of my little creations in this post in the hope that it might encourage you to have fun too. So, here then are some of my favourites, made using some stunning pieces designed by some fabulously talented people.

Rosie's Favourite Creations


Emerald Chic


First then is this outfit I styled around the most gorgeous green Dolce & Gabbana lace overlay dress.  Isn't it beautiful?  I also fell in love with the stunning Prada bag in this set so much that it makes regular appearance in far too many of my sets.  It's just perfect! 


Release your inner designer with Polyvore - Emerald Chic by Rosies Cottage

Afternoon in the City


Living a distance, as I do, from the City, a shopping trip is very rare for me.  As such, any planned shopping trip would be a perfect reason to "push the boat out" and (try to) be extra glamorous 😊 Central to this set is a traffic-stopping, colour block dress by Patrick Kelly.  I added to this dress a beautiful pair of shoes and a pretty shopping tote bag, both by Ted Baker.

Release your inner designer with Polyvore - Afternoon in the City by Rosies Cottage

Isn't that dress fabulous honeys?

Awesome Armani


Now who wouldn't want an Armani wardrobe?  I work retail honeys so I don't earn enough to splash out on actual Armani pieces to fill my closest with and I'm ok with that dear ones.  I can still "window shop" on Polyvore 😊 

I set myself the task of putting an outfit together using only Armani pieces and this is the result...

Release your inner designer with Polyvore - Awesome Armani by Rosies Cottage

I think it looks awesome and I so love that bag and those ankle booties 😍

Walking The Red Carpet


Who doesn't dream of walking the red carpet for a film premiere, dressed to the nines in the most stunning dress, beautiful jewellery and looking every inch a million dollars?  With that (daydream) in mind, I created this...

Release your inner designer with Polyvore - The Red Carpet in Sapphire by Rosies Cottage

The dress in this set is an Issa long sleeved draped waist dress and I teamed it with accessories found on the Polyvore collections.  The shoes are vintage inspired Glamour Galore heels from Mod Cloth and my favourite of the two bags (the one above the shoes) is by Ted Baker.  The stunning, sparkly jewellery is set with Blue Nile sapphires and diamonds. 

Springtime Florals & Cream


Springtime is my favourite time of the year honeys.  I completely agree with the song made famous by the wonderful Harry Secombe which said "if I ruled the world, every day would be the first day of spring" 😊 Such a wonderful song with the most beautiful lyrics.  

Spring is my favourite time of year because the long, dark days begin to lighten and lengthen.  The garden begins to wake up from it's long winter nap and I can watch our beloved roses start to bud again.  Add all of this to waking up to birds singing in the mornings and you can see why every year I dread losing this glorious time of year, even to the (usually very rainy) Scottish summer. 

Release your inner designer with Polyvore - Springtime Florals & Cream by Rosies Cottage

This pretty, spring look is exactly what I'd choose to wear to welcome spring.  Shades of cream are warmer than stark white so I used cream for the blouse and cardigan, as well as the background to the skirt and added peach accents with yellow gold jewellery and there had to be pearls. I adore pearls! 

Valentino Delight


Just as with the Armani set, shared already in this post, I set myself a task of creating an outfit using Valentino pieces.  This was the result...
   
Release your inner designer with Polyvore - Valentino Delight by Rosies Cottage

This ensemble is put together using a stunning crepe dress, gathered at the waist using a fabric rose in nude. I continued this nude theme with the gloves, sunglasses and fabulous, studded ankle booties.  

The pretty, delicate handbag is also in nude but has a rose pattern, tying in with the fabric rose on the dress, in a similar dark peach shade to the wool and silk mix coat. This rose pattern is also on the silk scarf, seen in the image above under the gloves.  The rose theme is carried through to the design of the perfume bottle and beauty accessories (body and hand lotions) all by Valentino 😍

Not Just For Fashion - Cushion Love!


There is much more to Polyvore than just fashion though honeys. I spend hours pouring over articles on interior design and designing dream rooms.  

Among other soft furnishing "finishing touches" I'm a great lover of cushions & throw pillows, and had fun creating this.....

Release your inner designer with Polyvore - Cushion Love by Rosies Cottage

Polyvore is such a fun site! You can find the Home page here  Are you a member already? If so, do link to some of your creations in the comments section, I'd so love to see them. Hope you're having a fabulous day honeys xx 

Update


Edit: As of April 2018 Polyvore is gone!  I'm beyond lost honeys.  This, along with Pinterest, was my escape from the world when things became overwhelming, when arthritis left me unable to move from the sofa without being in the most terrible pain.  This was my happy place and now it's gone.  

There was no warning, the site was bought over by a clothing company and just like that all of our sets, friends we'd followed over the years, everything just disappeared.  It's a sad day and I'm so glad now that I wrote a couple of posts on this blog and saved images of some of my sets.  It was such fun while it lasted dear ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment