Does your home hug you when you walk through the door?
When I get home from work at night I'm greeted by a happy, smiling, Hubby & furbaby and by a silent hug from our home too. I walk through our door and I can immediately feel the stress leave my body, my shoulders relax and I always smile :) I still adore Ikea beyond all reason but home is my real happy place :)
So, how to make our home a place you never want to leave and always long for when you're not there honeys. Turns out, it's really easy :)
Six Ways To Make Your House A Home..
2. Make your bedroom your own personal oasis of calm. Decorate in a soothing colour, choose beautiful bedding that'll make your bed feel luxurious. When shopping for bedding, look around, beautiful bedding doesn't have to be expensive, check the high street, Ikea and even your favourite supermarket! Tesco and Asda/Walmart have the prettiest bedding available at affordable prices.
Always make your bed and pick up clutter in the mornings so that when you walk into your bedroom at night you're walking into a peaceful, relaxing space, no stress allowed :) Do you love throw pillows? I do :) It's your space honeys, have as many as you want. Why not set up a designated basket to pop them safely into at night, it will keep them clean and keep your bedroom tidy too.
3. Make your living/family room stress free by tidying up before going to bed and make it a rule to never walk out of the room without gathering up any coffee cups or other clutter on the coffee table as you go. Have bins and baskets to help with a quick tidy at night before bed. Our furbaby Jade has a large basket for her toys (I swear it's like living with a toddler and we wouldn't have it any other way :)
Why not have a basket under your coffee table to store magazines, catalogues etc and a small pretty bin or mini basket to store remote controls. This will keep your remotes to hand and make your coffee table look so much tidier too. No more rummaging down the back of the sofa looking for the TV remote :)
If you have children, a small ottoman could be used to put toys away out of sight, changing the space from a child friendly play area to an adult relaxing zone when little ones are in bed at night. Why not keep lovely soft throws in a basket by the side of the sofa to snuggle under while watching TV?
4. Forget the magazine layouts, organize your kitchen to suit you. There are countless ways to store items in the kitchen to make preparing meals a breeze. Keep your most used pots and utensils close to hand, use open shelves if you prefer them to cabinets and why not use small bins or baskets to organize the contents of your fridge and freezer? Always load the dishwasher or wash any dishes in the sink before bed. It only takes a few minutes but makes such a huge difference to how you feel in the morning.
5. Make your entryway/hallway a trip free zone by setting up a place to put shoes, bags and coats. Set up baskets, maybe one for each family member, in the lower hallway or on the stairs. Place any stray items found downstairs during the day inside each persons basket and they can take them up with them to put away each night.
Set up a system to sort incoming mail as it arrives. It doesn't have to be complicated. A small bin to recycle empty envelopes and junk mail with a basket or hanging pockets to place items to action ie bills to pay, items to file such as statements or letters and, finally, things to shred such as anything which has any personal details including your name and address. Personal data is a valuable commodity to fraudsters honeys, don't make it easy for them.
6. Fill your home with smiles. Display favourite family photos and treasures to remind you of happy days out, holidays and happy occasions.
Why not set up a "slipper zone" in the entryway or just inside your front door? Aside from keeping your carpets and rugs clean by preventing dirt being trekked into your home, what could be more welcoming when you get home than the sight of your comfy slippers? Hang up your coat, kick off your shoes, step into your slippers and take a minute to breathe. You're home.
What do you do to make your space a happy one honeys? Why not share in the comments section? I hope you have a fabulous weekend, full of smiles and hugs :) Till next time dear ones, huggles always xx