Thursday 26 April 2018

Beautiful Peony Roses Begin To Appear...

Hi Honeys,
How are you today?  I'm sorry I've been missing for so long.  I'm struggling dear ones.  I have eight blog posts in various stages of completion and I just can't sit down to work on them because of the almost constant pain I've been in for weeks now.  I can't sleep, getting to sleep isn't a problem because I'm so drained all the time, it's staying asleep.  I wake up in pain and mostly I'm still sitting there watching TV or reading when Hubby's alarm goes off around 5.30am. 

This little blog means the world to me and it's awful that it's suffering because of a bunch of aches and pains.  I'm sorry honeys, I really am.  I'll try to do better ๐Ÿ’‹

Today I went to the back door to let our furbaby Jade out into the garden and was surprised and happy by what met me ๐Ÿ˜Š Other than helping my arthritic joints to torture me, it looks like the almost constant rain recently is working wonders in our Garden ๐Ÿ˜Š  Look what's happening to our much loved peony roses...

Beautiful peony roses finally begin to appear...

So many leaves! All of that foliage feels as if it's just appeared out of nowhere.  As if I looked away, turned back and.... there it is!  So beautiful as always.  I do wish peonies stayed in bloom longer.  They'll be here and gone again so fast but I still look forward to seeing them each year ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Do you remember honeys, back in January, I got so excited to see these little buds begin to push their way through the earth in search of the sun to warm them...

Peont roses begin to push up through the earth looking for sunshine to warm them.

Well, it wasn't terribly warm but still they kept growing.  By late January they were under snow but by the time late February arrived the snow was gone again and it looked as though we were on the right track for spring.....

By late February it felt as though Spring had truly (almost) arrived with warm sunshine and the garden waking from it's long winter nap...

The sun was warm, we had blue skies with the occasional fluffy white cloud bobbing along and just as I was starting to look forward to warm soft breezes, sunny spring days and laundry pegging in the back garden... well this happened...
Yes, the "beast from the east" as the media called it, or bitterly cold air from Siberia brought storm winds and a lot of snow to the UK.  This freezing cold weather front unfortunately also collided with Storm Emma.  After the snow we had in January, and mindful of potential frost damage to our precious roses, I'd done a little research ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Before the snow arrived I covered the surface of the planter that's home to the peonies with a cotton towel.  I had also wrapped one around the base of our lavender too.  I wasn't sure if it would protect the lavender but I thought it couldn't hurt ๐Ÿ˜Š 

My thoughts on using cotton hand towels was that it would (hopefully) protect the plants from the bitterly chilly days (and nights) while also letting much needed moisture through.  We had been told for days to expect snow but no one expected this....
 
The "beast from the east" as the media named the bitterly cold winds coming from the direction of Siberia, met Storm Emma and this happened.

What a shock to go to bed and wake up to snowfall that reached my knees when I tried to walk through it!  Oh, and our poor baby Jade!  I opened the back door and as always she scooted out, flew off the top step into the direction of the patio and instead of landing on mono block there was a sort of "fwuuufff!" noise as she disappeared into the snow!  Wee soul! She became a sort of Staffie shaped snow-submarine ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Now, she could have simply turned around, made for the back door and headed back into the house but the brave wee lamb plodded on through the snow, which was above her tummy in depth, bless her.  She then headed across the patio and on wards in the general direction of where the grass should be ๐Ÿ’–

Our furbaby Jade braves the snow after the snowstorm.
 
Such a brave baby!! Of course when she came back around the side of the house again and trudged through the snow towards me at the back door she gave me such a look! "Mum! Make this cold stuff go away!" ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ˜Š

When the snow cleared away, again (the second time in around two months) I removed the protective hand towels and found this...

After Storm Emma met the "Beast from the East" snow storms and all of the snow finally cleared, our peonies were still healthy and had even grown a little!

Not only were the peonies safe, they had even managed to continue growing (a little bit.)

Fast forward a little to exactly one week ago and look at how they've grown...


In the past week they've changed again.  In just a week they now look like this...
 
Peony roses, being helped by wonderful Scottish rain, getting ready to bloom beautifully.

I got more than a little soggy standing out in the patio to snap that photo honeys ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Jade, very wisely, didn't follow me out, instead she stayed inside, standing just at the back door, watching me and clearly wondering what her Mum was doing standing outside being coated in all that wet stuff from the sky ๐Ÿ˜Š 

I wanted to snap some photos because in no time at all those peonies you can just see in the photo above will look like this...

Beautiful peony roses in bloom.

Aren't they pretty?  Do you love roses too honeys?  I can't wait until the other roses, planted in memory of my beloved Gramma & Mum-in-law, in our tiny front garden begin to bloom too ๐Ÿ˜Š

I hope you've had a great week honeys and that you're looking forward to a wonderful weekend full of fun and smiles ๐Ÿ˜Š  What are you looking forward to dear ones?  Till next time, have fun, huggles xx

Hugs Always, Rosie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment