Tuesday 11 October 2016

Christmas Smiles In October: Cosmetic & Beauty Advent Calendars

Disclaimer:  I haven't been paid to promote any of these products, just sharing some online smiles and virtual window shopping x

Hi Honeys
I hope you're having a good week so far.  This past week I received my latest order from Studio.  You might remember the little organizing trays which I've put to fabulous use in our kitchen.  I adore those little trays so much I'm going to order another set :)

Also included in this latest order was something I've been curious about for a while now and have never gotten around to treating myself to.  Have you ever seen a cosmetic advent calendar honeys? I'd spotted one listed on the Studio site and thought "why not!"

Christmas Smiles in October - Cosmetic Advent Calendars Rock!

I don't wear make up much, well lets face it (see what I did there? :) unless I'm at work or have a doctors appointment I'm at home so somewhere along the line I think I just decided it wasn't really worth the effort or maybe that I wasn't worth that tiny bit of self care.  I have to work on that.

To that end I'm expecting a delivery from Avon this week (I'll share when it gets here honeys) but for now back to the cosmetic advent calendar I ordered from Studio...

Technic Cosmetic Advent Calendar From Studio

My first reaction when it was delivered was that the box is huge! I haven't had a cosmetic advent calendar before (although I'd heard of them) but I suppose I was expecting a box along the lines of the chocolate advents which appear in shops at this time of year but it's larger than those.  Let's have a closer look at this set and maybe a sneak peek at the contents then shall we....

When I removed the box from it's outer cardboard box (it's sent very securely packaged against damage by being encased in an outer heavy cardboard box which is then sealed inside a large, thick plastic bag) as I said I was surprised by how large it was.

When I turned it around to look at the reverse of the packaging I was more than a little disappointed to see this large sticker on the reverse...

Reverse of the Technic Cosmetic Advent Calendar packaging shows its contents

I mean.... spoiler alert! It stopped bothering me though when it dawned on me that I have the short term memory of a book end and wouldn't remember the contents in six weeks time anyway :)  Still though, shame to spoil the surprise?

Since they have though, and since I decided to remove the shrink wrapping and throw it (and the contents sticker) away I thought I'd scan it for you so that you can have a closer look...

Contents sticker from the reverse of the Technic Cosmetic Advent Calendar packaging

As you can see there is a good mix of items including:

  • 3 lip glosses - 2 wand style lip glosses & tiny heart compact lip gloss (so cute!)
  • 1 lipstick
  • 1 lip balm
  • 2 eye shadow trios 
  • 1 tube of lip gloss 
  • 2 nail polishes 
  • 2 eye liner pencils
  • 1 lip liner pencil
  • 1 cosmetic pencil sharpener
  • 1 pack of stick on nail jewels
  • 1 really pretty emery board
  • 1 hair slide 
  • 1 hair band
  • 1 toe divider to use when painting nails 
  • 2 blusher brushes 
  • 2 double ended foam applicators
  • 1 lip brush

If you'd like to see this set on the Studio site you can find it here honeys and there is a video on youtube showing it in a little more detail which you can watch here.

I thought I'd have a quick look online to see what other types of advent sets are available and there are so, so many! Here are a few of my favourites...

Boots No7 Advent Calendar

No7 Beauty Calendar by Boots

From the illustrative photo this set looks lovely, it retails at Boots for £39 (apparently the items have a RRP of £151.95) and also includes three limited edition brushes.  You can find details of how to register for this set here.

Tanya Burr 12 Day Beauty Calendar

Tanya Burr 12 Day Beauty Calendar at Superdrug

Available from Superdrug this box looks high end and would make a lovely gift.  Not so much an advent calendar as a "12 days of Christmas"  box - so you'd open the first box on Christmas day and so on - but the packaging is so pretty I had to include it :)

Best thing is, at the time of writing this its on offer and costs £15 instead of the normal £25! Superdrug have reduced the prices of their cosmetic advent calendars right now, so if you're interested it might be worth a look online.

Molton Brown Scented Luxuries Advent Calendar

Molton Brown Scented Luxuries Advent Calendar

The Molton Brown advent is definitely the most expensive I've listed but isn't it beautiful?  It's priced at £150 (with its contents apparently worth £192 if purchased separately) so definitely way too pricey for me but I couldn't not include it because it's so beautifully packaged.  You can find details of this sets contents here.  

I have to say I'm impressed with the whole idea of non chocolate advent calendars, a little pampering treat behind each door :)  Of course what I look forward to in the run up to Christmas each year is the annual fabulous Soap and Glory collection. Joy!  Who doesn't adore Soap and Glory :)

Do you buy a non chocolate advent honeys? I think I'm very late to the party on these lovely collections of treats, it will be fun opening each little door in December :) What's your favourite treat to yourself dear ones?  Till next time, smile lots and hug even more, huggles always xx

4 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post Rosie! I hope to get the M&S beauty advent again this year. You have to spend £35 in M&S and the calendar is another £35, but it's worth over £200! I think it comes out on Nov 10th and there's going to be a scramble to get hold of one. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah x I'm really new to these advent sets and the quality of the contents is pretty awesome. Thank you for the info re the M&S one, definitely worth looking in to! Did you know about the Superdrug sets? They's mostly half price right now online and there are a few "unboxing" type videos on you tube too. As usual I'm (not so) patiently waiting for the Soap & Glory set which this year is packed in a very vintage looking 1950s style flight case! You know how I adore all things vintage so my head just about exploded when I saw it :) My only gripe is that i wish they'd go back to their original vintage style packaging in gorgeous retro salmon pinks. Thank you so much for stopping by honey, it means the world to me, have a fab weekend in your lovely new home, huggles xxx

      Delete
  2. These are so fun! I am all about anticipating the holidays. I may or may not have watched a Christmas movie last night (heheheh). When I was little we did "canisters" as my mom called them. They were old containers that used to hold film and they formed a tree. There were 25 of them and every day we would get a little prize. It was so exciting. I loved those little prizes. I think this is a very fun adult version of my happy nostalgia. I also like the 12 days of Christmas one too. Off to check it out. oxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather you're such an angel to have visited and left so many lovely comments xx I'm so sorry I'm just getting to them now, I've been feeling like a wrung out dish rag these past few weeks, my iron count is in the basement and I'm just so drained. Thank you so much for making me smile angel, it means more than I can say x

      These advent calendars are new to me too, what a fun idea! I so love that your sweet Mom organized these fun treasures for you! Such fabulous memories to have and cherish. I never had anything like that as a child, it must have been such fun! What I used to look forward to as a child was my Gramma's "cloutie dumpling" a huge suet based fruit pudding that came straight from heaven itself via my Gramma's kitchen :) It was wonderful and we all waited all year for her to make it :) Huggles always dear wee friend xxx

      Delete