Thursday 14 May 2020

Bee Bombs: Planting A Habitat For Our Buzzy Friends ๐Ÿ

Disclaimer:  I haven't been paid to promote or share any products.  I was introduced to these wonderful little seed "bombs" by a dear Twitter friend and just had to try them. Anything to help our buzzy friends ๐Ÿ

Hi Honeys,
How are you today?  How's your week been?  We have rain today, which no doubt will be welcomed not only by the garden, but by our garden's many tiny visitors too.๐Ÿ’–

Yesterday afternoon, while it was still sunny and warm, our furbaby Jade & I spent a happy half hour or so on the patio.  We re-filled the feeders for our feathered visitors and also left some nuts for our terribly timid squirrel guest.

While outside, I also decided to plant the "Bee Bombs" which had arrived yesterday morning.๐Ÿ

What are Bee Bombs and why I'm happy to add them to our garden...

For some time now honeys, I've been trying to do whatever I can to make our garden into a tiny oasis for the assorted wildlife who visit. 

One of the first things we did, during our first spring after we moved into this house, was to plant an apple tree.  The apple tree is very well established now and every day it's full of movement and noise.  The tree is where the bird feeders are I adore looking out the kitchen window watching all of the birds flying in and out, sitting on the branches, sometimes eating and sometimes just singing๐Ÿ’–

Being an apple tree, we're also blessed to have lots of lovely Bramley apples each year to bake with too ๐Ÿ  In addition to the apple tree, we also planted a blueberry shrub which has now grown so much it's taken over one part of the garden.  We planted the blueberry shrub as a food source for our many tiny birds and I love seeing them fluttering around it's branches and hopping in and out of the shrub and across the lawn.

I'm really excited about the latest addition to our garden honeys, but I'll tell all in a few minutes or so.  Why not go grab a cuppa, and maybe a cookie (or two) and meet me back here after the page break?  See you in a few minutes...


Welcome back honeys, do you have your cuppa?  Me too☕  Why not get comfy, put your feet up and enjoy your cuppa and I'll share our latest little garden addition.

Until a few days ago, I hadn't heard about "bee bombs" until a dear Twitter friend introduced me to them in a tweet (thank you Lea x)  Over the past few years we've been trying to introduce little elements to our garden that might not only encourage more bees to visit but to also (hopefully) make their life a little easier. 

We set up a few "bee hotels" I made a DIY water station and we planted more lavender, which other than the roses appears to be their favourite ๐Ÿ

What are Bee Bombs and why I'm happy to add them to our garden...
I adore our little buzzy garden guests :) 

Back To Those Bee Bombs...


I really do adore bees ๐Ÿ  So, as you can imagine honeys, any product that aims to encourage more little buzzy friends to visit would be one I'd like to try.  Having heard about bee bombs then, I was of course curious.  

I searched for them online, found them on Amazon and immediately ordered them.  A couple of days later this arrived...         
What are Bee Bombs and why I'm happy to add them to our garden: As you can see, the seed pellets are beautifully packaged in a little hessian, or burlap, sack.

Bee Bombs are basically a collection of seeds, embedded in a clay and compost pellet, which aim to create a wild flower habitat perfect to attract bees to your garden and, as a bonus, look beautiful too ๐Ÿ˜Š   As you can see from the photo above, the seed pellets are beautifully packaged in a little hessian, or burlap, sack.  The tiny sack is tied with string and has a large pretty label attached.

Into The Garden...


I choose a rectangular, trough-like planter to plant the seed pellets and, having decided, off into the garden I went with Jade, my assistant gardener ๐Ÿ’–  We took the bee bombs with us and then fetched the planter and a new bag of compost/soil.  I used the whole bag of pellets, I didn't think to count them but I think there might have been around twenty or more in the little bag.  If they do outgrow the planter I'll either re-plant them into the garden itself or transpose them into more large planters. 

First then, we half filled the planter...

What are Bee Bombs and why I'm happy to add them to our garden: I choose a rectangular, trough like planter to plant the seed pellets.

Then we scattered the bee bombs into the planter among the compost/soil...

What are Bee Bombs and why I'm happy to add them to our garden: The seed pellets themselves are quite large and have a sort of clay like feel.

The seed pellets themselves are quite large and have a sort of pale pink clay-like appearance.  Since the makers website does mention the clay they're formed with, it makes sense that they'd have a "clay-like appearance" Rosie lol ๐Ÿ˜ƒ 

Now, the instructions do say to just throw them onto soil and let nature do her work but if I do that our little squirrel will see them and they'll be nibbled on, so I had to cover ours with a thin layer of extra soil to disguise them and allow them the chance to grow... 

What are Bee Bombs and why I'm happy to add them to our garden: Once the seed pellets are planted, I added another layer of soil and all that was left to do was to water them and wait ever so patiently for Mother Nature to do her work :)
 
With the seed pellets in the planter, and another thin layer of soil added to disguise them, all that was left to do was to water them and wait ever so patiently for Mother Nature to do her work ๐Ÿ’–

I've always thought that gardening itself is a life skill honeys because one of the greatest lessons gardening teaches us is patience.  There's no doubt I'll be peering into that planter, looking for any tiny shoots or the smallest signs of life each time we're in the garden, Jade and I, but I can wait. Even if it's not really so patiently ๐Ÿ˜Š

Have you heard about bee bombs honeys?  Do you plant to attract bees and butterflies to your garden?  Even if you don't have a garden you can always have a window box.  In our last home, a tiny flat, we had a little window box that was full of daffodils.  It was so pretty when it was all in bloom and yes, we did have bees visit ๐Ÿ˜Š If you'd like to read more about bee bombs you can find their website here. 

I hope you're having the best week dear ones, and that you're looking forward to a wonderful weekend.  Till next time, stay safe and sending mountains of (virtual) hugs x 
   
Hugs always, Rosie x

No comments:

Post a Comment