Monday 27 April 2020

Passing COVID-19 Lock-down Time: Organising The Kitchen Cabinets (Part Two)

Disclaimer: I haven't been paid to recommend or promote any stores or products, just wanted to share what I'm doing to stay busy (and happy) during the lock-down.  Stay safe honeys x

Hi Honeys,
How are you today?  It's such a beautiful day today, the sun is shining and our furbaby Jade's having a nap on the sofa next to me, bless her πŸ’– She always keeps me company while her Dad's at work. 

Today though, Jade's a little confused.  Earlier today, her Dad had his lunch with us because He's working from home all this week.  She's happy enough though, she got lots of hugs before he went back upstairs to his den/officeπŸ’—

Filling The Lock-Down Time..


Are you at home during the lock-down honeys?  I have chronic health issues, so I've been at home for over four weeks now.  To keep myself busy I'd decided to try to tick off some of those little things on my "to do" list that I've been meaning to do for a while.

I made a start on this list by tackling a few organisational projects in our kitchen.  My first project was to try to bring some order to the chaos of the large cabinet by the kitchen door.  This is a difficult cabinet to organise because of it's depth, meaning that no matter how it's organised, there will be things in front of things. 

It turned out really well though actually and it's very user-friendly.  You can see how it turned out here honeys.  Today though, it's on to another cabinet, and also a little meal prepping station too, but I'm getting ahead of myself again 😊

Passing COVID-19 Lock-down Time: Organising The Kitchen Cabinets (Part Two)

I just smiled again seeing those photos 😊 This was much less work than the last cabinet because it has so much less in it (it's home to our cleaning supplies) and since it's not a very deep cabinet I didn't really have to deal with rows of items.

Why not go grab yourself a cuppa, and maybe a cookie (or two) then dear ones and I'll met you back here after the page break for a chat and to share what I did...


Welcome back honeys πŸ’–   Do you have your cuppa? Cool, me too☕πŸͺ😊  Let's have a look at what the cabinet under the sink looked like before I emptied it out and cleaned it...

Organising The Kitchen Cabinets (Part Two): First, to empty everything out...

It was very busy, very full and I knew that with a little effort, I could make it not only look better but also "work" better for us. 

So, having emptied the cabinet, I set about cleaning all of the shelves.  When that was done, I sorted all of the contents by type, such as disinfectants, anti bacterial sprays, washing up liquids etc. 

By that time, Hubby had gotten home from work (time had gotten away from me again) and helped me by fetching the new bins I'd bought for my kitchen organising projects. Then it was on to the fun bit!  With the contents already sorted by type, it was so easy to just fill bins by type and pop them onto the nice clean shelves...

Organising The Kitchen Cabinets (Part Two): Much better! I'm loving my newly organised cleaning supplies cabinet.

I'm smiling again honeys 😊  I can't help it!  Just looking at the photo above this has me smiling πŸ˜ƒ I'm loving this cabinet now.  Everything I can need to clean anything is to hand, with my most used items sitting (corralled together in pretty containers) directly under the sink... 

Organising The Kitchen Cabinets (Part Two): Much better! I'm loving my newly organised cleaning supplies cabinet.  My most used items are close to hand, right by the sink, when I need them.

As you can see honeys, my most used items include bottles of anti bacterial spray and clinell hand sanitiser sachets (both used a lot during the current health crisis as you can imagine) soap pads, washing up liquid and my cleaning gloves. 

The two large bags,sitting behind the box of Clinell wipes (oh how I wish I'd bought more of these before COVID19 arrived) are eco bags of Dettol spray, again bought long before the virus arrived.  They're eco bags because they are intended to re-fill the large, trigger bottle of Dettol, saving on plastics. This is such a great idea and I wish more companies would do it.

I'm so pleased with how the containers on the upper shelf (and lower actually) but I reach for the ones on the upper shelf most, are organised.  I can just lift a little bin out and use what's in it for the job in mind 😊 

For example, the small (lower) container on the far (left hand) side of the photo below, is home to my collection of bottles of Zoflora.  I adore Zoflora, love it and have used it since Hubby and I got our first little flat after we got married over thirty years ago, and now they have their own little home πŸ’–

The container sitting above the Zoflora bottles has a few easy-to-grab little "scourer" sponges as well as the micro-fibre cleaner for the Venetian blinds (with it's replacement micro-fibre cover.)  This is such a useful little item honeys, it dusts and cleans two or three "slats" of the blinds at a time. So useful.

Organising The Kitchen Cabinets (Part Two): Much better! I'm loving my newly organised cleaning supplies cabinet.  My most used items are close to hand, right by the sink, when I need them.

My other favourite container to "grab-and-go" is the small container sitting next to the Zoflora bottlesπŸ’š  Other than the blue, sealed round package sitting on top (it's a replacement mop head honeys) the contents of this little container can clean almost anything! That's quite a boast, huh? πŸ˜„

This container is home to a large, glass bottle of white vinegar and (right now) four packs of bicarbonate of soda (must buy more.)  Two wonderful, powerful cleaners that can clean everything from tiles (and grout) and mirrors to dealing with rust and even mould!  You can find an article at Reader's Digest here with useful tips.

Also in this little container is a can of furniture polish (with orange oil) and two micro-fibre covered sponges to clean with.  I'm so happy with how this cabinet is sorted honeys, and still smiling at these images πŸ˜ƒ 
 
Organising The Kitchen Cabinets (Part Two): Much better! I'm loving my newly organised cleaning supplies cabinet.  My most used items are close to hand, right by the sink, when I need them.

I know a cabinet that only holds cleaning supplies isn't glamorous or exciting to work on but I really enjoyed organising this little space and I so love how easy it is to use now πŸ˜ŠπŸ’—

Organising Our Little Meal Prepping Trolley...


Have you ever finished a project and felt so happy, and inspired, that you want to do something else?  When I finished working on the cleaning supplies cabinet, which as I said earlier took so much less time than the other cabinet had, I decided to tackle another very (very) quick project 😊

Do you remember the wonderful little trolleys Hubby bought for me last year?  Those trolleys are used every single day for something or other 😊 I use this one as a mobile island, along with a little stool to sit down on while I work.  It's bamboo "lid" and glass worktop saver on top allows me to chop, slice, peel and prepare ingredients for our meals... 

This much loved little trolley is home to everything I need to meal prep Hubby lunches, it acts as a mobile island too.

They also allow me to move things between the fridge or freezer over to the cooker or to the sink. I adore these little trolleys and would be absolutely lost without them now. 

Second (Mini) Organising Project Of The Day Begins...


So, back to my ever-so-fast organising project then honeys 😊 You might remember that the top section of the trolley that doubles as my meal-prepping island (under the bamboo top) was used to store useful utensils, such as measuring spoons and scoops etc...

Under the bamboo "lid" of my little meal prepping trolley/island was organised using acrylic organisers, but I thought I could do better..

When I bought my new containers for the cabinets I'd also ordered a set (four) of the smaller, matching drawer organisers.  Three of these fit perfectly into the trolley tray and, as you can see, have organised the utensils beautifully...

Our little meal prepping trolley/island is now perfectly re-organised and still have all of the utensils it held before but now also has room for our silicone baking mats too.

There's even room now for the rolled up silicone baking mats to be stored when they're not in use.  You can just see them at the bottom of the photo.  This tiny project only took a few minutes to do but I'm so happy with it 😊

Over to you honeys? Have you been tackling any projects at home to stay busy?  Why not share in the comments below?  Do you blog too?  Share your latest post so I can read it, I promise to say hello when I visit πŸ’– 

Whatever you're doing right now dear ones, please stay safe and well, till next time, hugs always xx  

Hugs always, Rosie x

No comments:

Post a Comment