Wednesday 28 June 2017

Brown Rice, Fish & Veggies - A Yummy, Healthy Meal Idea!

Hi Honeys
I hope you're having a fabulous week.  We actually saw the sun (for a short spell) yesterday and it re-appeared again today for an hour or so, which is just as well really because I was starting to forget what it looked like having been rained on such a lot lately.

It is Summer after all, are you hearing me Mother Nature? Well, anyway, since the weather is playing games around here I decided to cook something sun filled which led me to veggies.... odd thing honeys, I wasn't a huge fan of vegetables when I was young.  Now I can't get enough of the nutrient filled, health boosting, ever so colourful, produce aisle 😋

These days when planning dinner for Hubby & I,  my thoughts always head towards "which veggies can I serve with this?" 😊

Having rummaged around in the larder, fridge & freezer waiting for inspiration to strike I spotted a large bag of whiting pieces and had an "aha!" moment... I do love those 😊 My aha! moment led to my making one of our favourite dinners.   This...

Brown Rice, Whiting Fish and Veggies - yum!

This is such a simple, fast (and yummy) meal it could make itself...almost 😊 It's also become one of Hubby's favourites (and mine)

OK, aprons at the ready? Off to the kitchen honeys...

Brown Rice, Whiting & Vegetables


Ingredients:


Fish - I used whiting because that's what I had but haddock, cod, salmon, bass or trout all poach well. Allow 1 or 2 slices/fillets per person (depending on size)

75g (or roughly 1/2 cup for our US & Canadian cousins) per person of brown rice

1 stock cube (I use vegetable but you can use a fish stock cube too if you'd like to)

Lots of lovely fresh veggies of your choice

Approx 1/2 pint milk

A little butter or margarine to coat surface of your pan.

Directions:


1. Begin by adding water to your pot.  I don't have a rice cooker so I can't help with directions for using one but if you do, feel free to use it honeys.  I use the largest pot we have, even when I'm cooking a small amount because the larger surface allows the rice to spread out and to cook evenly.

For every 1/2 cup of rice you use, add approximately 2 & half cups of water.    Turn up the heat to bring the water to the boil, add your stock cube and stir.  Add your brown rice, allowing 75g per person (or roughly 1/2 cup)  Stir the rice then turn the heat down to the lowest simmer point and put the lid on the pot.  Allow to simmer away, stirring occasionally.

2. Add a little butter or margarine to a pan.  I use a saute pan because it's wide and shallow, you'll see why in a second honeys...

Add a little butter or margarine to bottom of your pan

3. Melt the butter or margarine over a low heat. Once melted, gently swirl around until the surface of the pan is coated...

Melt butter or margarine over a low heat...

4. Arrange the fish fillets on top of the buttered surface of the pan...

Arrange fish in the bottom of the pan on the melted butter or margarine...

5. Add milk until the fish is almost covered.  I used around half a pint or so....

Add milk to the pan to almost cover the fish...

I know it seems like a waste of milk but if you'd like to you can always drain away the milk once the fish is poached and use it to make a bechamel sauce for the fish.

6. Bring the milk almost to the boil (don't let it boil over) and then turn the heat down to low again and allow to simmer for approximately 8-12 minutes depending on how much fish you're poaching.  I usually put the glass lid on my saute pan but you don't have to honeys.

You'll know the fish is cooked when it flakes apart easily.

7.  Choose your vegetables and wash, peel and prepare them as necessary.  If serving "raw" like our yummy tomatoes then slice and place to one side or either add them to a steamer to cook or place into a small pot and place on stove to cook.

Remember to stir your rice occasionally.
 
8. When the fish is cooked, use a slotted spoon to gently remove it, placing the cooked fish into a bowl.  Use a fork to flake it into small pieces, setting it aside until needed...

Use a slotted spoon to remove cooked fish, place into a bowl and flake with a fork...

9. Once your brown rice is cooked, most of the fluid will be gone and it will be soft.  This should take approximately 30 - 40 mins depending on quantity being cooked.  Check by trying a little, when ready "fluff "it through with a fork.  Add the fish and stir through to combine.

Now you have a choice honeys, either serve your now too yummy fish with rice adding your lovely vegetables on the side...

Combine flaked fish with freshly cooked brown rice, serve with your favourite healthy vegetables on the side... yum!

Or

Mix the your vegetables of choice through with your rice and fish...

For a different serving suggestion why not combine some lovely vegetables with the rice and flaked fish? Delicious!

There are no words for how delicious this dish is honeys!  Either way, with veggies on the side or with veggies mixed through 😊

What do you think?  Are you a rice fan?  There was a time I would have automatically reached for white rice but Hubby & I are trying to be a little healthier and I've been using brown rice for a while now and guess what?  We both prefer it! Yaaaay for being healthy!

Of course I still use white (short grain) rice now and again.  Whenever I make a pot of creamy Rice Pudding for dessert as a treat 😋  Any thoughts?  Have you tried brown rice with lovely flaked fish?

Thank you for keeping me company honeys.  I hope you're having a fabulous week full of smiles and hugs.  Till next time, extra huggles from me dear ones xx

Huggles Always, Rosie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment