Tuesday 28 February 2017

Time For Pancakes!

Hi Honeys
I hope you've had a fabulous day today and managed to miss the snow & sleet we had earlier today.  I was standing outside our Doctor's surgery when the rain very quickly turned to sleet and then very, very light snow, all in the time it took me to wait for a taxi to take me home!

Got home, hugged Jade and, with today being Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday, I thought I'd whip up a batch of pancakes for Hubby coming home as a treat 😋

Time For Pancakes - Basic Pancakes Recipe & Serving Suggestions

Would you like to join in the fun honeys?  Let's start off with a basic pancake recipe then shall we?
How can something that tastes so good be so easy to make?  Let's get started then dear ones, to the kitchen...

Basic Pancake Recipe


Ingredients


150 grams plain flour
2 large eggs
250ml skimmed milk
1 tablespoon oil, plus extra for oiling pan
caster sugar & lemon juice to serve (optional)


1. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.

2. Create a "well" in the middle of the flour and add your eggs, approximately 50ml of your milk and one tablespoon of oil.  I used vegetable oil but you can use olive oil or sunflower oil honeys, don't stress over it 😊

Basic Pancake Recipe - Sift 150gms plain flour into a bowl, add two eggs. 1 tbs oil & approx 50ml milk

3. Using a wire whisk begin to mix your batter, drawing in the flour from the sides. Gradually add the rest of your milk, a little at a time, until you have a thick, even and smooth batter.  Your batter should be the consistency of double cream.  If it thickens while sitting just add a little more milk and whisk.

Basic Pancake Recipe - mix, adding the rest of the milk gradually, until you have a smooth, even batter

4. Let your batter rest while you fetch your pan and get it ready to cook your pancakes.

5. Prepare your frying pan by dampening a piece of kitchen paper with oil and using it to wipe the surface of the pan so that the pan is evenly oiled.

6. Place your pan over a medium heat and allow to heat for a few minutes - NOT too long honeys! I know it seems an obvious thing to say but never walk away from a pan on the heat even for a minute.

7. Add around half a ladle of batter to your pan and tilt it, swirling the batter around until it covers the surface of the pan.  Pour any excess into a jug, this can then be used again but you don't want your pancakes to be too thick since they won't cook properly.

8. Allow to cook for around one minute, gently lift an edge using a spatula or fish slice and check. If cooked they should be golden brown.  Turn over and cook the other side, again for around one minute until golden brown.

9. Repeat until you've used all of your batter.  Don't worry if the first or second pancake isn't perfect, it's normal and tests the heat of the pan and the consistency of the batter.

10. Serve with a sprinkling of caster sugar and/or a spritz of lemon juice 😋

So, now we have lots of yummy pancakes.  To serve we can either serve as is with with addition of a little sprinkling of sugar and lemon juice or we can have some fun with toppings.

Basic Pancake Recipe - Serving Suggestions

Which toppings Rosie I hear you ask 😊  The choices are endless honeys!  To get you started though here are a couple of my favourites...

Pancakes with Strawberries & Strawberry Sauce Drizzle

Basic Pancake Recipe - Pancakes with fresh sliced strawberries & strawberry sauce drizzled over

Pancakes with Sliced Banana & Sticky Caramel Sauce

Basic Pancake Recipe - Pancakes with sliced banana & sticky caramel sauce

How yummy do both of those look?  Both the strawberry and caramel sauces are ridiculously easy to make, do tell me in the comments section if you want me to post a recipe?

Do you have favourite pancake partners honeys?  How do you eat your pancakes? Of course you can also have savoury pancakes, our Cousins across the pond make them with bacon & maple syrup which sounds delicious too.

I hope you've had a wonderful day honeys, stay warm ok?  Winter doesn't seem to be done with us yet, I'm afraid.  I so can't wait till Spring!  Til next time dear ones, smile lots and hug even more, huggles always xx

Hugs always xx

2 comments:

  1. Yum yum! I just had chocolate chip and squeezy lemon ones. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, I'm so sorry honey! I'm desperately trying to catch up on comments (and everything else) I haven't been coping at all well recently. Thank you so much for visiting and for your lovely comment too x

      I've never actually had chop chic pancakes! This is me too, someone who adores chocolate more than (with the exception of Hubby & our furbaby Jade) almost anything :) You know I'm going to have to try making them now don't you :) Will try to remember to buy a pack of chocolate drops when at work tomorrow :) I do love, love, love squeezy lemon pancakes tho :) Love anything lemony actually...oooo it's been ages since I've baked a lovely lemon sponge with lots of lemon icing drizzled all over :) yum!! You see what you've done to me now :)

      OK, there has to be some baking going on here now Leah and it's all your fault :) which will it be first though chocolate or something lemony? Hope you're having a fab week dear wee friend and I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I'll get caught up if it's the end of me, huggles always xx

      Delete